Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins

September 14th, 2008 - Scholastic
"May the odds be ever in your favor."

Well, I finally caved in.

I got THE HUNGER GAMES... and I'm so glad I did!!!

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

This book was like being in the face by an angel! Awesome! I've obviously been hearing the hype over it for awhile. And I'd flipped through the first few pages, wondering what all the buzz was about and didn't feel interested. Well, after finally buying it, I still think the first thirty or so pages were a bit slow, though essential because it's the grand entrance into Ms. Collins's dystopian world.

Well, I won't even put the synopsis up, because I'm sure a word or two of it has already been breathed to you if you haven't read it already. The characters are amazing! The scenes are amazing! The descriptions are amazing!

Also, one thing I loved about it was that it wasn't like a lie detector, going back and forth, in and out of insane roller-coaster of emotions and then back into teen-angst turmoil, without warning of when it was going to happen. It stayed at a steady pace, and it felt like I could tell what was going to happen next, and yet still love it and be surprised because that's just how good Suzanne Collins writes.

Another thing I loved about it was how interesting the actual Hunger Games was. When picking it up for the first time, I was afraid that the entire thing would take place in the Hunger Games and just be some boring archaic thing about hunting rabbits and shooting lots of people.... Oh, how wrong you were, Past Self. Go run a lap.

Not only does a lot of the book take place out of the Hunger Games, but the parts that do take place in it, were really, really, really interesting. The way Katniss and Peeta have to survive was creative in itself, but its outcome, even more so.

Alright, so favorite characters: Katniss (what a BA. She's just awesome), Peeta (I don't even know why he was so... magnetic. He just was, but I still can't put my finger on why. Maybe because he was just sweet?), Rue (Oh, Rue. Rue, Rue, Rue, Rue. The way she describes being whipped for not working in her district, I really almost cried. "A twelve year old little girl!!!!" I screamed at the pages in blasphemy towards the Capitol), and Cinna (I won't give a reason. Cinna's just awesome. :D)

And, just because I can, look at some of the crazy mondo-insane things of popularity that have occurred since THE HUNGER GAMES was published:

*Since publication in 2008, THE HUNGER GAMES has spent more than 130 weeks on the NYT Bestsellers List.

*Suzanne Collins named as one of TIME's 100 of 2010.

*More than 5.4 million copies in print of THE HUNGER GAMES in America.

Suzanne Collins is living the writer's dream-which I think she totally deserves.

Now I'm off to get back to reading HUSH, HUSH by Becca Fitzpatrick. See ya Friday!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...