Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Fav's of 2011: Part II

Well, here's the next list: my 5 fav songs to write to in 2011:

1. COLDPLAY. Because, hey, they’re British. No, but really, Coldplay’s one of my all-time favorite bands in the history of life, the universe, and everything. They began the year talking about their new album, and their singles began sprinkling down from whatever platinum-record heaven they come from. Songs like “Paradise” from their new Mylo Xyloto are put on replay. I’m listening to “The Scientist” by them now. :) Also, another plus is that their music videos are typically pretty kick-A:

2. 2. FLORENCE + THE MACHINE. Oh, oh, oh. I adore Florence! Not only have I listened to the music from her first album so much, but she dropped a new album towards the end of the year, Ceremonials. It’s fantastic and wild and dark. It’s really wonderful. Her songs are just so exhilarating.

3. 3. SUFJAN STEVENS. Although my dear Sufjan hasn’t released any new albums this year, I feel like I’m listening to his songs for the first time every time. I’ve been listening to “The Owl and the Tanager”. His music is bittersweet, dreadfully beautiful, complete lyrics that make you smile because they’re so real. “Casimir Pulaski Day” is another of my favorites from him, which is about a boy falling in love with a girl with cancer, and dies on Casimir Pulaski Day. *sniffles* Also, “Chicago”:

4. 4. LYKKE LI. Most people haven’t heard of this Swedish pop singer. (She sings in English, don’t worry.) I didn’t either until I was listening to The Twilight Saga: New Moon soundtrack (Shut up, shut up. It actually has good music on it), and she sang this ultra-depressing song about the possibility of a failing relationship. I was enthralled, lol. Anyway, she has this really good song called “I Follow Rivers”, which is my fav by her.

5. 5. DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE. I. Adore. Them. I need to go to one of their concerts this year if they come to my town. Anyway, chances are you’ve heard something from them, even if you didn’t know it. Benjamin Gibbard, the lead singer, guitarist, and lyricist pairs fantastic music with really, really, really cool metaphors. For instance, “Brothers on a Hotel Bed” is about a relationship where it feels as awkward as brothers on a hotel bed. And “Marching Bands of Manhattan” has the wonderful chorus ‘Sorrow drops into your heart, through a pinhole. Just like a faucet that leaks and there is comfort in the sound. And while you debate half, empty your half full, it slowly rises. Your love is gonna drown.’ You could slap Robert Frost’s/Emily Dickinson’s/Edgar Allen Poe’s name on that an English class would believe it. Pure poetry! :D

See ya tomorrow!

-Aaron

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...